About: 3i Group plc is a London-based mid-market private equity business. The Company focuses on buyouts, growth capital and infrastructure. It invests across Europe, Asia and North America. The Company, together with its subsidiaries, manages a number of funds established with institutions and other investors to make equity and equity-related investments predominantly in un-quoted businesses in Europe and Asia. It also advises 3i Infrastructure plc, an investment company, which invests in infrastructure assets. The Company invests in sectors, such as business services, consumer financial services, general industrial, healthcare, media, oil, gas and power, technology and infrastructure. 3i Investments plc acts as an investment manager to the Company. In April 2009, the Company sold off its remaining stake of about 4% in ProStrakan Group Plc.
Michael Queen, Chief Executive (since Jan 2009, previously was Philip Yea)
Bruno Deschamps, Managing Partner Operating Capabilities, MD France
Ian Nolan, Managing Partner/Chief Investment Officer
Jonathan Russell, Managing Partner, Buyouts
Robert Stefanowski, Chairman and Managing Partner, North America & Asia
Julia Wilson, Group Finance Director
Paul Waller, Managing Partner
Guy Zarzavatdjian, Managing Partner
3i says on its website that it is partnering more than 10 companies related to the cleantech sector but only shows 3 current investments on its website:
Cleantech – Crystal IS, Smart Fuel Cell, Konarka Technologies
- €8.5 billion – Our total assets under management.
- 12 countries worldwide – 3i has offices in 12 countries across Europe, Asia and the US.
- Growth Capital, Infrastructure and Buyouts – We focus our investments on 3 key areas.
- 375 – The number of businesses we have investments in.
- 58% – The proportion of our operations outside the UK.
- €1.04 billion – The level of our global investments in the year to March 2009.
- 8 key sectors – We actively invest across a wide range of sectors, with specialist global teams in Oil, Gas and Power, Technology, Media, Business Services, Healthcare, Consumer, General Industrial and Financial Services.
- A FTSE100 company
Comment: The Partner in charge of 3i’s Venture Portfolio team is Achim Lederle (includes IT, internet businesses and cleantech investments). 3i doesn’t look very active in the cleantech sector probably because its original Cleantech practice founders left the firm? Previously, Joern Pelzer and Marko Maschek launched 3i’s Cleantech practice but both left 3i to form a German venture capital firm PINOVA Capital with another 2 colleagues also from 3i.